Thursday 2 November 2017

Elaeocarpus bojeri (Elaeocarpaceae)

Elaeocarpus bojeri (Elaeocarpaceae) is endemic to the Cloud Forest of Mauritius with less than 10 individuals in two known locations in the wild. These populations are found on Le Pouce Mountain and Piton Grand Bassin.

This critically endangered species grows to a height of 3m and flowers from July to November
This critically endangered species grows to a height of 3m and flowers from July to November

Its common name in mauritius is Bois dentelle and "lacewood" in English because of the delicate flowers
Its common name in Mauritius is "Bois Dentelle" and  "Lace Wood" in English because of the delicate flowers.
Tree transplanted to Curepipe Nursery compound laden with flower buds
Tree transplanted to Curepipe Nursery compound laden with flower buds
Prior to the construction of  the Hanuman Temple on Piton Grand Bassin, a tree falling in the alignment of the structure was transplanted to Curepipe Nursery under directions from late Conservator of Forests, Mr. A.W. Owadally, The tree is now healthy, flowers regularly and a few natural seedlings have even been collected.

A layering from the same tree was planted in the arboretum before the inauguration of Mon Vert Walk and it is healthy also. It is worthy to note that Mr. Bhujohory, Senior Forest Conservation and Enforcement Officer  has successfully  propagated a few plants by air-layering.

8 comments:

  1. I found your blog following a post of of this plant on facebook. Thank you for this information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome and I'm happy that my article was of help to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flowers are so beautiful, they look so delicate! Can I share one of the pictures on my website on an article on the biodiversity of Mauritius, here, https://www.yonature.com/biodiversity-flora-fauna-mauritius/ please? Thanks for sharing such golden information. Elna

    ReplyDelete
  4. All pictures on my blog are my property. I hereby authorize you to use the picture from my blog "Native Beauties of Mauritius" provided you acknowledge me as the author with a link to my page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I have credited you and linked back to your website! Keep sharing, cheers, Elna

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. This plant is not on sale. The spp. is critically endangered and not more than 10 plants exist in the wild. Cuttings do not root and seeds do not germinate easily. The only option left is layering.

      Delete
  6. I had the golden opportunity of working in the Greenhouse of the Forestry Service in Mauritius during the period 2013 to 2017 and I experimented various techniques of propagating this Critically Endangered Endemic plant species . I managed to produce several replicates by Air-layering technique and also from seeds. I planted one of them at Grand Bassin and it is growing healthily there.

    ReplyDelete